Friday, April 5, 2013

Spring Has Sprung! (Moccasins)

Well, I think spring is finally here. The spring birds are, for the most part, all back and singing outside. The sun is shining and I haven't seen any snow for a week or so. We're looking at getting more chicks. We started out (8 years ago) with 26. We lost some and gained some but now we're down to one. I think she looks rather lonely sitting on the roost at night by herself.

Anyhow, I thought I would share some of my favorite spring pictures, historical dresses or otherwise to get you into the mood. Enjoy!

Love those hats, especially the blue one! Why don't more people wear hats?
Four lovely ladies, all dressed up. I wonder why they were dressed like that? Were they picnicking? Play croquet on the lawn? About to go out visiting?
Because every now and then, you need a rabbit driving a car with a huge red egg in the backseat.
And pussy willows, because I love pussy willows.
On another note, I have started making myself a pair of moccasins. Long story short, my feet don't like shoes of any kind. I tend to get blisters if I hike for more than about an hour in anything.

My Grandpa brought down some beautiful chocolate brown leather for me yesterday. (The picture makes it look a lot grayer than it really is.) I drafted my pattern using this site and cut it out. A few trials runs (on scrap cotton) with the pattern later, I cut the leather. Now I just need to get some thicker thread as well as a needle or an awl that will actually go through the leather. I suppose it's such a good thing the leather is as tough as it is. :) It feels so soft against your skin and it smells delicious! I can't wait to get them done!

As weird as it looks, this turns into a moccasin!

Hope your spring is going well so far!

7 comments:

  1. I love the moccasin idea! I always have to wear shoes with really thin soles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I could hike barefoot, I'd do that, but when I backpack, that's not really doable. Moccasins are the next best alternative.

      -Veronica

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing the spring pics. Regarding the bevy of four beauties in their matching dresses, maybe they were part of a wedding? When I was young I would find some pussy willows every spring and bring a handful home to my mom. Good luck on the moccasins!
    -Mombo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell me how it goes! I've been wanting to make CW slippers, but have been busy doing 10 million other projects. Soon...

    Isn't that leather smell fantastic?

    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feeling. I just finished my moccasins this morning! I'll get a post up soon.

      Oh, I love that smell. :)

      -Veronica

      Delete
  4. I love the bunny driving the car with the huge egg!

    ReplyDelete